11 October, 2014
Pepper Fried Rice With Sausages Recipe
This fried rice recipe is quick to make and the addition of sausages is a really cheap way to get some protein in your meal. Pepper fried rice has a lovely healthy aspect because of all the vegetables, but is also quite moreish.
- Oil, margarine or butter (I prefer oil, but margarine will make it taste more like a takeout, if you like your fried rice that way)
- Vegetables (go for whatever you like. Be creative or get whatever is cheap! My preference is carrots, peas, spinach / cabbage and broccoli or cauliflower)
- 2 eggs
- Sausages (Get something with some flavour, ideally garlic and herb)
- Garlic (optional)
- Black pepper
- Chop the sausages into small pieces
- Cook the sausages, boil the rice and the vegetables (separately but at the same time)
- Fry an onion in a separate pan and add shaved garlic (optional)
- Add eggs to the fried onion and keep stirring until the egg starts to cook. You don’t want the egg to cook completely, otherwise the fried rice and egg won’t mix well
- Add the fried rice to the egg and mix. The heat from the fried rice should cook the rest of the egg and it will mix nicely. If you want a less healthy meal, you can add more oil / butter or margarine before adding the rice
- Add the vegetables and sausages and mix well
- Add LOTS of pepper and stir it in. All the flavour comes from the pepper and the meal will taste pretty bland without it, so go crazy with the pepper, really, don’t hold back!