4 November, 2014
Beef Stroganoff Sauce
Stroganoff sauce is a tasty Russian dish that is often served with mushrooms. Beef Stroganoff sauce itself is not especially healthy, that is why we can make a few clever choices about what we serve with it to make it a bit more nutritious.
- Half a cup of good quality beef stock
- Half an onion
- 1 cup of mushrooms (approx 4 medium sized)
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- A small piece of steak (cut is entirely dependent on what you prefer or can afford)
- A little flour (1 or 2 tablespoons – to thicken)
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- Mashed potato or sweet potato, and your choice of veges (peas, salad, beans will all work)
- Pasta and vegetables
Here’s how to make my tasty beef strog recipe:
- Saute the onions with mushrooms. (If preparing with mashed potato, you will want to be boiling your potatoes and preparing other veges now).
- Add the stock to the onions and mushrooms, simmer to reduce slightly.
- Meanwhile, add a little olive oil to a frying pan and fry the steak till medium rare.
- Add Dijon mustard to the sauce
- Add a small amount of flour to the stock mix while stirring until desired thickness.
- Take of heat and add sour cream to the stock mix. Stir to combine.
Serve the sauce on top of the steak with the sides you desire. Enjoy!